[Proposal] Celo Tribe (web3 social club for universities)

My introduction here

Hello Community.

West Africa where I come from is endowed with a lot of brilliant minds and the youth generation is fast evolving.
This lead me to come up with the ‘Tribe’ movement which is “a web3 social club dedicated to inspiring, educating, and exposing youths in higher institutions to the vast opportunities in Web3 building a fully functional community of young minds in Web3.”

Traction:
A few months back we held the first-ever Tribe event and we planted the first club cell which was tagged “Tribe LASUTH". Currently, we have about 20 active members in the club all discussing web3 and possible infusion into their field of study which happens to be medicine. check out this blog post on medium.

Current Tribal leaders (LASUTH):

Name: Adekunle Abdulganiu
School: Lagos state university college of medicine (LASUCOM) Department: Pharmacology
Year: 2nd

Name: Ayantunji Roseline
School: Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM)
Department: Pharmacology
Year: 2nd year

Name: Adebusoye Abiodun
School: Lagos State university college of medicine (LASUCOM). Department: Pharmacology

Our goal is to engage and directly chart the course of these potential young people to a future in web3 and Celo.

Social clubs in higher institutions or universities are not entirely a new thing and some clubs go as far back as the 90s.
Below are a few schools with lists of registered clubs in their schools:

Each school consists of various departments covering many studies in sciences, education, law, engineering, medicine, and so on. we believe these fields have a role to play in web3 and we want to expose them to Celo.

In achieving this, we have decided to pioneer this social club community titled: Celo Tribe which we look to establish in universities across West Africa focused on empowering these youths with the right information to harness their skills and groom them to their fullest potential exposing them to Celo and the possibilities of building in Celo.

Our initial target region is Nigeria and, her total number of universities was estimated at over 170 schools to date with Lagos State estimated to have over 11 universities inclusive of privately-owned schools.

We look to establish Celo Tribe in these schools over the next 5 months duration.

Tribe monthly curriculum Schedule
Seminars:- Seminars will be hosted Bi-monthly where web3 facilitators/enthusiasts from around Africa will be invited to discuss with the students.
School activities:- Bi-weekly meetings will hold as they discuss weekly topics in the course outline presented to the tribal leaders in each school.
Competitions:- These will hold monthly or Bi-monthly depending on their school syllabus and school activities.
Events:- These will be organized monthly by students with catchy themes each month.
Reports:- Reports will be presented by school tribal leaders on a monthly bases for follow-ups and to see better approaches and implementations.

Celo Tribe Social
We want to take this a huge step further by creating social channels which students can follow and get up-to-date information on tribe activities done in other schools to inspire them about what they could do in their Tribe community. We will be setting up social pages on these platforms:
Twitter
Telegram
Discord (Tribe Channel)
Instagram
Also frequent blog posts on blaqk stereo as well as medium will be implemented

KPI:

• Establishment of Celo Tribe clubs in 23 universities.
  • completion of at least 15 events and seminars in 5 months duration.
  • opening of fully operational Celo Tribe social pages.

Timeline:

School Date Season
Unilag Dec. 2022 1st
Yabatech :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Lagos state university :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Lagos state poly :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Pan atlantic Uni Jan. 2022 :heavy_check_mark:
Babcock Uni :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Redeemer’s Uni :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Covenant University Feb 2023 :heavy_check_mark:
University of Ibadan :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
University of Ilorin :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Obafemi Awolowo University :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Federal Polytechnic of Technology (Akure) :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Bells University of Technology Mar 2023 :heavy_check_mark:
Calebs university :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
University of Benin :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Benson Idahosa university :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
University of Nigeria :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Ambrose Alli University April 2023 :heavy_check_mark:
University of Abuja :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Veritas University Abuja :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Nile University :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
American University of Nigeria :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:

Team:
Hawwal: Team lead and founder:Blaqk Stereo Dao & Tribe Club - In
Timi: Project Manager - In
Benny: Community manager - In
Shola: Social media - ln

Budget:
We request $49,860 for the next five months (December - April 2023 (holiday season excluded) in the execution of this project.

Initial expense:

Description Price ($)
Graphics for banner including Celo tribe logo design 200
Celo Tribe cover letter magazine for (5 States education boards) 500
Total 700

We estimate to spend $1,920 USD in each school and here is a detailed breakdown:

Description Cost ($)
Refreshments for each launch event (Food and drinks) 300
The Tribe Booklet for at least 100 club members ($3 per copy) 300
Sound for event 100
Branded Celo Tribe T-shirts for 5 club officials ($10 per shirt) 50
Logistics (transportation inter state) 400
Banner print 2x ($50 for a banner) 100
Esco’s salary is $30 per month (x3 months) for 3 Tribal leaders a school 90x3 = 270
Club bi-monthly events $200 (x2) 500
Total 1,920 x 23 schools = 44,160

Socials plan:-

Description Duration cost ($)
2 posts a day(graphics) with 4 motion graphics a week & 2 event videos month 1000
Total 5 months 5,000

email: emmslogs@gmail.com

Thank you.

5 Likes

Hi @hawwal. This sounds really great. Very cool proposal for the Celo Tribe.Everyday, Iam amazed by how we strive to decentralize and localize the Celo’s true mission.We are making progress indeed.
However, from a very close observation I can see that the mission of the tribe is closely aligned to the a focus of the CELO AFRICAN REGIONAL DAO where it will strive to bring forth students aspiring to be developers,designers and entrepreneurs.The goal here is to have these students eventually forming independent Blockhain clubs to participate in the hacking of Celo Blockchain.
Now with this in the air,Wouldn’t it be counter-productive to have the Tribe and the DAO working independently to achieve the same thing?

3 Likes

Hi, @rony23-byte Thanks for taking out time to read and give your impressive feedback on this proposal. I Have read the Celo African Regional Dao proposal which was quite interesting with its focus mostly on Hackathons. It would be awesome if we could collaborate in seeing the Celo Tribe movement for Africa to fruition. However, I believe our goals differ slightly as Celo tribe isn’t focused on hackathons even though each school will have frequent “events and seminars”, Our focus is majorly on providing information, educating, learning, and sharing charting the course of these potential young people to a future in web3 and Celo. An interschool hackathon can definitely be fixed in which would participants from each school will be welcomed to showcase their innovations. I believe for this particular sort of event, we could then reach out to the Celo African Regional Dao to support.
Secondly, from the last community call meeting from what I heard, I don’t know if the Celo African Regional Dao has been approved to proceed with funding but I think the team would know better as regards this.
Thirdly Celo tribe is a movement I envision going even far beyond the borders of Africa, I believe there can be Celo tribes in European higher learning institutions, Asian and so on… The dream is big and there is much much work to be done.
Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification.I wish you all the best in the Celo Tribe

2 Likes

Happy New year Everyone.
Below is some new update to this proposal:

Link to Celo Tribe Repo in Github: Celo Tribe Web3 Social Club by Hawwal · Pull Request #192 · celo-org/governance · GitHub

Comparison

Consider Celo Tribe the “pre-workout”, and The regional Daos are the “sprint”. The Celo African Regional Dao proposal from what I understand Hackathons based focus project. However, Our goals differ slightly as “Celo tribe” isn’t focused on hackathons even though each school will have frequent “events and seminars”, Our focus is majorly on providing information, educating, learning, and sharing. Charting the course of these potential young people to a future in web3 and Celo. An interschool hackathon can definitely be fixed in which participants from each school will be welcomed to showcase their innovations. I believe for this particular kind of events, we could reach out to the Celo’s Regional Daos to support as Celo Tribe grows.

Strategy For Regions outside Africa

Within due course, we will be reaching out by sending out letters to various schools and institutions in other continents and we will be working closely with the Regional Daos of these continents to find out the best approach to make in regards the establishment of Celo Tribe clubs in their schools.

1 Like

Hi @hawwal,

Thanks for writing up this proposal and submitting it on-chain! I’ve been in contact with the governance approvers and it would be helpful if you made a few changes to the on-chain proposal:

1. There are no verification instructions. It would be helpful if you could add a verification section that showed the expected output of celocli governance:show --proposalID=<PROPOSAL_ID>. This makes it easier for voters to confirm that the on-chain proposal matches the text. See this proposal for an example:
  1. The current proposal is requesting cUSD from the community fund, but the community fund holds only a tiny amount of cUSD. Can you updated it to request CELO instead?

2. The proposal text differs from the on-chain proposal. Currently, the text requests 49,860 cUSD but the on-chain proposal is asking for 50,000 cUSD. I know this is a small difference, but it is helpful to have both the text and on-chain proposal match exactly.

3. Finally, there is no mention of the multisig and signers in the proposal text. It would be helpful to add both the address, the signers, and the multisig threshold. Additionally, to show that each signer is a unique individual, it would be helpful if each signer could post in your forum thread their address. See the recent LATAM DAO proposal for an example of this:

I’m excited to see how the community votes for this proposal!

3 Likes

Updated:

My introduction here

Hello Community.

West Africa where I come from is endowed with a lot of brilliant minds and the youth generation is fast evolving.
This lead me to come up with the ‘Tribe’ movement which is “a web3 social club dedicated to inspiring, educating, and exposing youths in higher institutions to the vast opportunities in Web3 building a fully functional community of young minds in Web3.”

Traction:
A few months back we held the first-ever Tribe event and we planted the first club cell which was tagged “Tribe LASUTH ". Currently, we have about 20 active members in the club all discussing web3 and possible infusion into their field of study which happens to be medicine. check out this blog post on medium.

Current Tribal leaders (LASUTH):

Details

Name: Adekunle Abdulganiu
School: Lagos state university college of medicine (LASUCOM) Department: Pharmacology
Year: 2nd

Name: Ayantunji Roseline
School: Lagos State University College of Medicine (LASUCOM)
Department: Pharmacology

Name: Adebusoye Abiodun
School: Lagos State university college of medicine (LASUCOM). Department: Pharmacology

Our goal is to engage and directly chart the course of these potential young people to a future in web3 and Celo.

Social clubs in higher institutions or universities are not entirely a new thing and some clubs go as far back as the 90s.
Below are a few schools with lists of registered clubs in their schools:

Each school consists of various departments covering many studies in sciences, education, law, engineering, medicine, and so on. we believe these fields have a role to play in web3 and we want to expose them to Celo.

In achieving this, we have decided to pioneer this social club community titled: Celo Tribe which we look to establish in universities across West Africa focused on empowering these youths with the right information to harness their skills and groom them to their fullest potential exposing them to Celo and the possibilities of building in Celo.

Our initial target region is Nigeria and, her total number of universities was estimated at over 170 schools to date with Lagos State estimated to have over 11 universities inclusive of privately-owned schools.

We look to establish Celo Tribe in these schools over the next 5 months duration.

Tribe monthly curriculum Schedule
Seminars:- Seminars will be hosted Bi-monthly where web3 facilitators/enthusiasts from around Africa will be invited to discuss with the students.
School activities:- Bi-weekly meetings will hold as they discuss weekly topics in the course outline presented to the tribal leaders in each school.
Competitions:- These will hold monthly or Bi-monthly depending on their school syllabus and school activities.
Events:- These will be organized monthly by students with catchy themes each month.
Reports:- Reports will be presented by school tribal leaders on a monthly bases for follow-ups and to see better approaches and implementations.

Celo Tribe Social
We want to take this a step further by creating social channels which students can follow and get up-to-date information on tribe activities done in other schools to inspire them about what they could do in their Tribe community. We will be setting up social pages on these platforms:
Twitter
Telegram
Discord (Tribe Channel)
Instagram
Also frequent blog posts on blaqk stereo as well as medium will be implemented

KPI:

• opening of fully operational Celo Tribe social pages.

Timeline:

School Date Season
Unilag May 2022
Yabatech :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Lagos state university :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Lagos state poly :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Pan atlantic Uni June 2023 :heavy_check_mark:
Babcock Uni :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Redeemer’s Uni :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Covenant University July 2023 :heavy_check_mark:
University of Ibadan :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
University of Ilorin :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Obafemi Awolowo University :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Federal Polytechnic of Technology (Akure) :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Bells University of Technology Aug. 2023 :heavy_check_mark:
Calebs university :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
University of Benin :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Benson Idahosa university :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Ambrose Alli University Sept. 2023 :heavy_check_mark:
University of Abuja :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Veritas University Abuja :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
Nile University :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
American University of Nigeria :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:

Team:
Hawwal: Team lead and founder:Blaqk Stereo Dao & Tribe Club - In
Timi: Project Manager - In
Benny: Community manager - In
Shola: Social media - ln

Budget:
We request 70,000 CELO equivalent to $49,680 (At the time of correcting this proposal) for the next five months (May - September 2023).

Funding Scheme:
(Bi - Annunally)
New list of Schools in other African Neighbouring countries will be added to the list of schools.

Initial expense:

Description Price ($)
Graphics for banner including Celo tribe logo design 200
Celo Tribe cover letter magazine for (5 States education boards) 500
Total 700

We estimate to spend $1,920 USD in each school and here is a detailed breakdown:

Description Cost ($)
Refreshments for each launch event (Food and drinks) 300
The Tribe Booklet for at least 100 club members ($3 per copy) 300
Sound for event 100
Branded Celo Tribe T-shirts for 5 club officials ($10 per shirt) 50
Logistics (transportation inter state) 400
Banner print 2x ($50 for a banner) 100
Esco’s salary is $30 per month (x3 months) for 3 Tribal leaders a school 90x3 = 270
Club bi-monthly events $200 (x2) 500
Total 1,920 x 23 schools = 44,160

Socials plan:-

Description Duration cost ($)
2 posts a day(graphics) with 4 motion graphics a week & 2 event videos month 1000
Total 5 months 5,000

Verification

Before approving/voting: Fetch the on-chain proposal and verify that the multisig address and approval amount match the approval call submitted to chain:

celocli governance:show --proposalID 70 --node https://forno.celo.org

Expected output:

[ { “contract”: “GoldToken”, “function”: “approve”, “args”: “0x81bC5B8F34CF959105c793F776971FA8A7BB2a25”, “70000000000000000000000” , “value”: “0” } ]

Multisig wallet

0x81bC5B8F34CF959105c793F776971FA8A7BB2a25

Signers:
@hawwal - 0xB6Bb848A8E00b77698CAb1626C893dc8ddE4927c
@Benny - 0x997f965f4155Ef86EAD287b3DBBE86B12e8e0B21
@Timi - 0xe29B0cb7C18C83c6FAd21b4b4fAA14E31c0EF7eA

Comparison

Concider Celo Tribe the “pre-workout”, The regional Daos are the “sprint”. The Celo African Regional Dao proposal from what I understand Hackathons based focus project. However, Our goals differ slightly as “Celo tribe” isn’t focused on hackathons even though each school will have frequent “events and seminars”, Our focus is majorly on providing information, educating, learning, and sharing. Charting the course of these potential young people to a future in web3 and Celo. An interschool hackathon can definitely be fixed in which participants from each school will be welcomed to showcase their innovations. I believe for this particular kind of events, we could reach out to the Celo’s Regional Daos to support as Celo Tribe grows.

Strategy For Regions outside Africa

Within due course, we will be reaching out by sending out letters to various schools and institutions in other continents and we will be working closely with the Regional Daos of these continents to find out the best approach to make in regards the establishment of Celo Tribe clubs in their schools.

Celo Tribe Course outline.pdf

email: emmslogs@gmail.com

Thank you.

4 Likes

Hello, I’m Timi - project manager “Celo Tribe” and, I wish to share the wallet I’ll be using in the multisig: 0x8E2E9e58Ca4833D5c5C542C027849B46b921142 Thanks :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, below is the wallet I will use in Celo Tribe Multisig:
0x997f965f4155Ef86EAD287b3DBBE86B12e8e0B21

2 Likes

Hey community, below is the wallet I’ll be using in the multis wallet:

1 Like

Thanks for making these changes!

Currently, the Celo Safe multisig has 4 signers on-chain, but there are only 3 signers listed in the proposal. Would you be willing to update this so either all 4 signers are listed in the text, or remove the 4th signer on-chain so the current text matches the on-chain state?

2 Likes

Thanks for the prompt review. we will remove the 4th signer now so it can correspond with the proposal here. it must have been an error during creating the multisig wallet. Thanks again.

1 Like

Everything checks out! Looks like we were 1 approver short of getting it approved this time. If you resubmit, it should get approved this time :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I’ve resubmitted and currently awaiting approval. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello community,
We’d like to start by saying a huge thanks for believing in the “Celo Tribe” initiative: proposal ID 101 which Passed by 17,114,297 CELO worth.
The “Celo Tribe club” for Universities is an incubator program designed to nurture Celo’s forth coming community with the resources they require to learn and fully understand how and what they could build in Celo as they learn within their social circles and community groups.
Celo tribe is set to kick off operations from West Africa Nigeria and will be moving on to other institutions across the continent in the coming months.
More updates will be posted subsequently.

Hello, I’m Timi - Project manager “Celo Tribe”. I wish to share the wallet I’ll be using in the multisig: 0xe29B0cb7C18C83c6FAd21b4b4fAA14E31c0EF7eA Thanks :hugs:

1 Like

Hi @hawwal is there any update on this project?

2 Likes

Hello @Wade Would be sharing some updates today, was waiting for reports from team members to accumulate and organise properly. Thanks :pray:

1 Like

Hello Community.

This is a detailed Report of our progress so far since we kicked off operations in May 2023.

New logo design

“Celo Tribe club” for Universities is an incubator program designed to nurture Celo’s forth coming community with the resources they require to learn and fully understand how and what they could build in Celo as they learn within their social circles and community groups.

We have reached out to 8 schools with our letters at the moment and we received positive feedbacks, however due to the seasonal activities amongst which are exams currently on in Nigerian Universities.

We decided to hold back on the physical activities and focus more on the social media growth and online community.
This lead us to establish these pages:

Below are some of the impactful posts from our social media pages:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuUvPTkNYww/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

First Medium post

Completed KPI

• Opening of fully operational Celo Tribe social pages.

Pending KPI

Team Members:
Team Lead: Hawwal
Project Manager: Timi @Timi
Community Manager: Benny @Benny
New Social Media manager: Bami Linktr

We’d like to apologise on the delay in providing report, moving forward, reports will be made promptly in an orderly fashion so as to keep the community updated with our progress. We’d love the community to support the movement by following our social media pages, and interacting in our group channels, (links are provided above) as we build.
Thanks

3 Likes

Hello Community.
This is a report on our recent progress for the month of July / August 2023.

Read Blog Post Here:

Under Celo Tribe’s mandate to introduce web3 and the Celo blockchain to societies foundational structures which happens to be educational institutions or universities, Celo tribe partnered with NearxArt DAO and Dapps over Apps who have huge communities of university students spread across these universities: Unilag, Lasu, Osun state Uni, Babcock,… etc. in providing financial support for their bi annual event titled “Paint and Chill” while introducing them to the “Celo tribe club”. This event brought together students from all around Nigeria and in attendance was over 400 students who came to learn, have fun while at it and make art.

Picture of students from various universities in Nigeria

View more pictures here

Cash giveaways up to $200 USD were given broken into $50 USD cash incentives for various trivia’s and tasks organised by the Celo tribe committee.

In attendance was the founder of Celo Tribe @hawwal project manager @Timi and organisers from the Nearxart Dao and Dapps over Apps community.

All schools in Nigeria are currently on holiday and are scheduled to resume in October 2023.

Join our community channels via this link

Completed KPI

• Establishment of Celo Tribe clubs in 2 universities.
  • 1 event

Team Members:
Team Lead: Hawwal
Project Manager: Timi @Timi
Community Manager: Benny @Benny
New Social Media manager: Bami Linktr

More updates will be posted subsequently as the Celo tribe club grows spreading the good news of Celo and prosperity. Ecosystem

3 Likes