My name is Mila and I am the Planning Steward for the Local Ecosystem working group along with @Aliu, @meltems and @banktheworld . As part of Season 11 Planning, we would like to share details about our plans for the upcoming season. If you are unfamiliar with the Season Planning process at the Celo Foundation, we would recommend taking a look at the forum post introducing the Season Planning Process.
With this post, our goal is to introduce more transparency into the work we’re doing at the Celo Foundation as well as ask for your feedback on the plan and activities listed below.
Working Group Purpose
Provide Tools for the Growth and Empowering of Local Ecosystems Around the World
While blockchain is a global technology, we believe that the Purpose of Celo as a community can only be fulfilled when grassroots actions are undertaken by the local communities. Our role in this journey is to provide the tools (e.g. incentives, structure, support) so that innovation and growth opportunities arise from within the communities that will be developing, using and profiting from such technologies created – starting from a local standpoint, but with potential for global impact in the broader Celo community – and beyond.
This Working Group focuses on experimenting with strategies and tools that can potentially enable the onboarding of the next billion into crypto through the actions, technologies and strategies of locals.
A View of The the Last Season
While all regions have specificities towards market maturity, opportunities, stage of community development and resources, generally the Circle focuses on the following areas:
- Awareness and educational initiatives through social media;
- +14 social media channels launched and nurtured
- +60 lives/spaces and office hours hosted in the channels
- Events for learning, hacking and discussing Web3 technologies;
- +20 events (from meet ups to conferences and talks)
- Community and Partner engagement and support (also in relation to other Foundation programs);
- Support through meetings and events
- Strategic alliances;
- Collaborations with Organizations through Alliance for Prosperity.
- Development of relations in the local markets
For more granularity on some country-specific initiatives, please refer to the below.
- Launched Web3 Founder tour to to educate founders on Web3 technology, connect to local investors.
- Worked with community members to draft Regional DAO proposal to shift decision making directly to the local community.
- Worked with the community to host monthly university events across Africa
- Launch monthly developers engagement programs in Nigeria, Kenya and Uganda
- Celo Ecosystem Ghana community launch in a bid to encourage more community engagement
- Onboarding new EcoLead to the Celo Foundation.
- Assessing strategies and channels to grow the ecosystem.
- Speaking engagements in Buidl Asia 2022 (South Korea)
- Mapping the local ecosystem and contacting community members.
- [Social Media]
- Launch of 4 Social media channels (KakaoTalk, Telegram, Instagram, and Discord) in Korean.
- More than 46 articles translated into Korean and shared in the above channels.
- +15 events held and/org engaged in LatAm, including Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Minas Gerais (Brazil); Buenos Aires (Argentina); Santiago (Chile); San Salvador (El Salvador); Panama City (Panamá); Medellin (Colombia).
- Launch of 10 social media channels (Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, TikTok, Telegram and Discord) in Portuguese and Spanish
- +50 lives/spaces and office hours hosted in the channels
- Production of educational content in Portuguese and Spanish
Founder support through partnerships with local incubators, Web3 programs and projects, meetings and office hours
DAO draft of DAO proposal with the community (WIP)
Europe & Middle East
*Valora, Celo native mobile wallet, is translated into Turkish to onboard more users from Turkey into the Celo ecosystem and enable the users to make use of Supercharge rewards for cUSD and cEUR.
- We have been working on increased visibility in social and launched Twitter accounts for Turkey and MENA through ambassadors program.
- Turkey Telegram has already been in use with approx. 750 members.
- While the global traditional and crypto markets have experienced a downturn, there is an even more pressing opportunity arising from emerging markets strong positioning towards crypto adoption to read world use cases (e.g. inclusion and credit access); Regenerative Finances (as a way to protect natural and cultural heritages) and intersection of ReFi and CeFi.
For this reason, the upcoming season focus is creating and announcing the structure and tools that will allow for a sustainable growth, while assessing the impact of such an initiative still in 2022.
Goals for the upcoming Season 11
While each Region has its own specific strategy and nuances on the best ways of implementation, the Objectives and Milestones are shared as the work undertaken by parties benefits from our collective intelligence and learnings.
Key Milestones and Dates
Structure milestones will be due 1st week of November, while Growth milestones will be due by EOY.
|Objective: Set Strong Structure to Nurture the Next Billion|
|KR1: Regional DAO Proposals||Meltem, Mila, Kyle|
|KR2: Scope Activities of Regional Alliance For Prosperity (“RAFP”) and Publish Program + Call for Enrollment and Membership Renewal||Aliu, Meltem, Mila, Kyle|
|KR3: Defining and Publishing Community Engagement Paths, Supporting Material, Channels and Agenda||Aliu, Meltem, Mila, Kyle|
|Objective: Growth Path Forward|
|KR1.1: Launch DAOs and at least one activity by EOY||Aliu, Meltem, Mila, Kyle|
|KR2.1: Onboard members for the RAFP + Host kick off meeting||Aliu, Meltem, Mila, Kyle|
|KR3.1: Publish KR3 materials, launch the remaining country-specific social media channels and grow existing base (builders, active projects, followers)||Aliu, Meltem, Mila, Kyle|
|KR4: Web3 Tour to Engage the Ecosystem||Aliu, Meltem, Mila, Kyle|
Upcoming Key Events
- Complete the Africa Web3 Founder Tour while connecting local founders to investors
- Africa Tech Summit, London - November
- ETHIndia - December
Europe & Middle East
- Future Blockchain Summit, Dubai (10-13 Oct)
- Istanbul Tech Week (2-4 Nov)
- Istanbul Blockchain Week, Istanbul (14-17 Nov)
- Web Summit, Lisbon (1-4 Nov)
- Blockchain Expo 2022 London (1-3 Dec)
- Web3 Ecosystem Tour (Major European cities to introduce Structure milestones, connect to founders and onboard RAFP members).
- DevCon (Bogota, Oct 10-14)
- ETH Medellin (Medellin, Oct 18-22)
- Web3 Ecosystem Tour (Major LatAm cities to introduce Structure milestones, connect to founders and onboard RAFP members).
We would love your feedback on this post. Please share your thoughts on the areas that we’re working on, what you think we should be doing more or less of, and how we can improve. We truly believe that we can get better with the inputs from you all in the community and we look forward to it.