Celo Africa H1 2024 | Regional DAO [FINAL]

Community engagement

@therealstone Made some excellent points in the draft thread.

This is the same experience in South African universities. A good model to follow is one similar to Digital Ocean’s Hacktoberfest where goodies are incentivized for those making significant contributions to participating projects. In this case it would be participating Africa based Celo projects.

I would like to know which African projects has the Africa Regional DAO collaborated with directly or indirectly in the past. From what I can see, there is excessive attention towards building apps for Opera Minipay. I would like to see contributions towards other open source projects in the Celo ecosystem.

Why is the maximum being requested here when there is a possibility each project gets less than 5k?

Any reason why a student should be getting $1k a month? I believe this was also pointed out by Luuk in his report. Was any effort made to adjust this?

I feel there are too many meetups. I’d rather see this be converted into some sort of refi contributions or something similar.

Governance

1. I’d like to know why the previous multisig and current proposed one require only 2/4 instead of 3/4 signers. Also, one of the signers is not the same as on the initial governance proposal. Was someone replaced?
  2. It looks like all funds were withdrawn to one of the signers (who is also a proposed signer on this proposal) and then distributed. Why was the multisig not used for distribution and swaps when it is fully capable of doing so? That would have made transparency much easier. Not to mention the security implications of not fully utilizing a multisig.
  3. Are there any final expenditure reports? (Similar to what you have included here but for the last iteration) I see that ~549k/550k have been withdrawn from the community fund. It would be good for voters to decide if the new budget makes sense based on the old one.

Addressing regional diversity

I would like to see a diverse set of signers from all over the continent so that there is a system of checks and balances. How are members of the proposed team selected? Is there a community vote in place like Stackoverflow?

I also see that the operations manager has not been selected yet. What is the selection criteria?

What is the breakdown on this? The detailed sheet does not address it.

3 Likes