Hey Celo community, and especially all users of StakedCelo:
We wanted to inform you about a MultiSig action, namely the removal of an unhealthy validator group.
- The StakedCelo protocol aims to support the Celo network by simplifying the pariticipation of users in the consensus mechanism.
- To support the consensus mechanism effectively only “healthy validators”, i.e. none that are slashed (which also results in lower epoch rewards), should not be voted for.
- One of the validator groups the StakedCelo protocol currently votes for was slashed, and accordingly does not fulfill the requirements of the StakedCelo protocol anymore.
- The multisig controlling the StakedCelo code has therefore initiated the removal of said validator group from the protocol. Currently, this is the only way to deactivate a group. With the upcoming v2 of the protocol, this will work quicker and permissionless.
- 3/5 multisig holders have voted on the proposal, therefore, the 7-day timelock has started. It will elapse on Tuesday, 14 February 2023 12:16:23 CET. After that, the change will be executed and go into effect.
For anyone wishing to verify the proposal which will go into effect:
- The proposal was submitted with this transaction and the following parameters:
- Destinations: [0x0239b96D10a434a56CC9E09383077A0490cF9398]
- Values: 
- payloads: [0x04de86e800000000000000000000000034649ada2cb44d851a2103feaa8922deddabfc1c]
- The validator group which was slashed is 0x34649AdA2cB44D851a2103Feaa8922DedDABfc1c
- The payload needed to submit the multisig proposal was generated using
- yarn hardhat --network mainnet stakedCelo:multiSig:encode:proposal:payload --contract “Manager” --function “deprecateGroup” --args “0x34649AdA2cB44D851a2103Feaa8922DedDABfc1c”
- in the stCELO repo
For the moment, we will not replace the validator group with a new one, as we expect the new version v2 of StakedCelo to be deployed shortly (once the already started audit of the code is finished) - and this v2 will change the mechanism of how votes to validator groups are distributed.
If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know below.