Kuneco 2.0: Evolution of Kuneco into a Community Townhall

Hello folks! Anna here, together with @olarte we lead community programs at the Celo Foundation.

We wanted to give some background on the recent hiatus of the Kuneco Community Call and propose a path forward that captures the spirit of transparency, collaboration, and evolution of our community.

Kuneco - which means “togetherness” in Esperanto - was born out of the intention to create a virtual gathering space to strengthen the community spirit of Celo members while celebrating wins toward our mission, and uplifting community voices. With time, the majority of content and the agenda of this call became focused on amplifying recent news and project launches in the ecosystem and we got the feedback that it was missing some of the original spirit of “togetherness” that it was born to serve. However, there is still a big need for the community to find out about the latest news and updates.

So we came together as a team and proposed two paths forward to serve both goals of Partner Marketing and Community. The result is a brand new quarterly partner call that will be unveiled soon, and the evolution of Kuneco into a community run townhall with the support of the community team at the Celo Foundation that we are here to discuss.

We have some ideas and goals but in order for this to truly become the gathering place for the community, we need your feedback. Please take a look at the proposed structure below and let us know your thoughts and what you would like to see in this next iteration of Kuneco.

Purpose

To facilitate a container of togetherness for the Celo Community that will dive deeply into topics that affect Celo’s development and serves the goal of gradual decentralization. Potential topics we are hoping to discuss:

• Celo’s roadmap at cLabs and Celo Foundation
  • Governance, collaborating with CGP editors on most pressing issues
  • Frameworks for decentralization, applying for on-chain funding
  • Grassroots organization of regional ecosystems, a space for community builders to come together and exchange notes and learnings
  • Independent entities that are spinning up to support the Celo Ecosystem: Prezenti, Ocelot, Climate Collective, AfricaDAO and any other DAOs that are proposed in the future

Main Qualities

• Community co-creates the agenda
  • Optimize for conversation and interaction rather than updates
  • Dedicate a part of the call to governance and community discussions
  • Provide transparency into our process & roadmap, inspired by Gitcoins open budget meetings and engaged governance and stewardship community

Logistics

• Monthly 1h call facilitated by Anna, Daniel, and in the future community facilitators
    • How often would like to participate in this kind of call?
  • We will choose a platform that encourages conversation
    • Livestorm, Crowdcast, Zoom, Google meet?
  • Post agenda and planning docs on the Forum and on Discord for most visibility
  • Have rapid cycles of feedback and iterate on the best experience for this Town Hall

What’s more is this is not the only effort we currently have that focuses on bringing the community together. Every week we have Office Hours in Discord in English, Portuguese, and Spanish as well as Developer Hours. And starting Friday we are kicking off a ReFi Summer Book Club, a container for rich conversations about ReFi that are so important to many of us in the Celo Community.

Please let us know your thoughts below and we are looking for a new and refreshed Kuneco Community Call starting soon!

Anna

cc: @olarte @Wade @Thylacine @willkraft @ebeth @MayaRB + everyone who would like to be involved in shaping the future of this call!
14 Likes

I like the evolution of Kuneco presented in this post Anna.
Personally, as a community member and project creator, I would like to see more of the presence of Marek and Rene during these calls. Would be awesome to organize an AMA with them every 4/6 months to answer the community questions. Clabs and the Celo Foundation are established companies and I believe that this bear market (aka quiet time) is the best moment to look back at what was done and what could be better or more efficient :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks for taking the initiative to re-vamp Kuneco @annaalexa and @olarte :100:
I like the focus on interaction over updates! Though that is probably what makes meetings like these logistical challenges. Excited to see us experiment and see how this plays out :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, are you considering using Discord for this? Do you have any insights from using Discord for the weekly office hours?

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

Discord might be the right place just because that’s where most of us in the community hang out. However, after doing the office hours for a while, I am not sure it is the best option. It’s buggy, sound is not great, it can be discouraging for new folks. I like Zoom or similar platforms. Recently, the DevRel team started using Vowel for a few meetings, I liked it a lot. It has notes built in and it signals the amount of time people speak, among other features.

5 Likes

Thank you @arthurgousset! Exactly, that’s the goal :100:
We’ve considered Discord, and it’s definitely still an option on the table, but what we found in our office meetings is that it’s often more glitchy than other platforms. It works okay for the most casual meetings but can pose problems and can be a barrier for engagement. Here’s a balance I found works well:

• Discord for casual hangouts, no agenda, office hours, mostly 1:1
  • Zoom/Google/Vowel for more structured calls like Governance, mix of 1:1 and 1:many conversations
  • Streamyard, Livestorm for presentation type calls and updages, mostly 1:many communication

What has your experience with Wallet Councils been like? I’d love to learn more!

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you @0xGoldo for your feedback, we have surfaced this as an idea and will incorporate it into the evolution of Kuneco :slight_smile: This is exactly what we are looking to do, bring more engagement and interaction with our community.

3 Likes

“the evolution of Kuneco into a community run townhall with the support of the community team at the Celo Foundation that we are here to discuss.”

Sounds great!

3 Likes

We’ve been using Google Meet, because it’s a recurring meeting people can accept/decline in their calendar. It works well because it’s familiar and convenient to join (most folks probably join Zoom/Google/etc from their calendars).

I’ve been thinking about Discord, but haven’t found that setting up meetings and recording is particularly convenient :person_shrugging:

1 Like

love the idea of reviving this and on encouraging conversations.
This is a different topic but I hope there is also a focus on youtube engagement and attracting new members to the community/ enriching existing connections through video and audio formats.

1 Like

Hi @annaalexa! will there be a continuation of the Kuneco gatherings?

If so where can I participate in these?

Bless Airu.

1 Like

Hello @annaalexa and @olarte :wave:
Happy New Year :fireworks: for both and the Community :yellow_heart:

I really like the idea of the returning and revamped Kuneko Calls. I always thought having a recurring TownHall is good for the community.

But from my perspective I would love to host those calls inside the Discord Server, I know at the begging it seems to be more difficult but it seems more convenient in the long term.

Regarding the issues of bad streaming there are some points we need to coordinate and the experience will be awesome. I have joined some other Townhalls like Optimism and some others in their Discords and experience is really good. I would love to help in some technical details if necessary :saluting_face:

Recommendations:

• There should be only one or two hosts sharing their screen. And the host are the only ones that can gives the mic to the community to speak. Community can raise their hands or request :microphone: or just ask inside the Stage chat if necessary.
  • Comunity can ask questions in the inside Stage chat and Hosts can answer the question.
  • We can broadcast simultaneous into YouTube and keep the recording.

Benefits:

• The conversations around the calls will be logged into the inside stage chat :speech_balloon: and everyone will be able to just jump on it and check them in chronological order instead of looking into different places.
  • We encourage people to join into our Discord Server that is intended to keep all the conversations related to Celo. And some people will join the server for the call but will stay into the Discord Server.
  • That interaction will benefit the Discord engagement metrics and will help us to position better our server in the Discord Discovery Program that we are already part of.

Love this:

I also support this idea, could be great to do it on Twitter :hatched_chick:

Thanks for bringing Kuneko back :tada:

UPS :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I just saw this is a very old post :sweat_smile:
But. Love the idea anyway.

3 Likes

I loved the last Kuneco hosted in December 2023; the agenda seemed right, and the vibes were spot on!

Streamyard, or a comparable platform like Livestorm, definitely has my preference over Discord, as it has native recording, better registration, and more participation tools.

@juanjgiraldoc I’m glad you’re eager to continue and evolve Kuneco; maybe there’s a way where the Public Goods Stewards host recurring Kunecos and organize larger Kunecos with @annaalexa’s team every quarter or so! Let’s explore the options if and when the Public Goods Budget is approved :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @LuukDAO , Airu here any specific discord server to participate in the Kuneco meets?

Looking forward to hang with Celo community soon!

Bless Airu

1 Like