Celo Governance Improvements - Initial Outline

Hello Community, love the energy generated by this thread as it’s kinda getting uncommon to see contributions on discussions like this on the forum. Shout out to @thylacine for kicking off the discussion and everyone who’s jumped in with feedbacks on the topic.

I’d like hop on one of the points above on Raise the Proposal Submission Threshold.
First I’ll give a scenario of a past events of which i believe also fueled the drive by @thylacine to champion this thread.
CELO X ARTS was a prop I drafted for artist and creatives alike and it was taking onchain after a few feedbacks had been incorporated into the prop from the governance call. At the time, my team and I were full time into driving the project so didn’t see much need to wait for so long once we saw that there wasn’t a single comment or feedback on the forum asides @Juangiraldoc who opinionated we collaborate with @arigallerry who proved abortive to meet with.
Prop went onchain for voting but didn’t pass and @wade reached out to me that Community members are concerned about the multisig being 1/1 which was one of many oversights we made during the first prop vote so we asked to put it to a vote again having met all criteria’s we were initially advised of.
It was only until the second vote had commenced that we had @thylacine jump in with feedbacks on the prop that triggered other feedbacks from the Community of which I must say, made us excited about the community regardless prop passing or not.
To us , to see responses and opinions, and even contributions on our prop gave us a sense of validation of our identity and membership. It also helped us better understand the community more and how to be part of this Community building.

Web3 as a whole is still very young in prominence & hasn’t even combed 10% of world population in user activity. if celo must ascend to heights only imagined of, we must at least try to welcome & embrace all contributors and their ideas regardless how unconventional they may come, not by necessarily approving but by at least engagement for There’s a kernel of truth in every innovative concept. Celo must be flexible enough for adaptation to grow spontaneously.
Albert Einstein, once said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.”

We are all trying to contribute in a decentralized manner to building our community and we must embrace collaboration & engagement for us to strive in this competitive ecosystem.

To enhance this collaborative spirit, it would be beneficial to provide constructive feedback on ideas before they reach the community call stage. If you have insights or suggestions that could positively influence a proposal, sharing them early on can significantly contribute to its improvement.
It’s encouraged not to remain silent and wait until the voting stage to express reservations. Offering feedback before a proposal goes on-chain allows the proposer to incorporate valuable insights from the community. Many of us are continuously learning, and a well-revised proposal can have a substantial impact on the community.
Waiting until the voting stage to voice concerns can be unwelcoming and counterproductive to the principles of prosperity for all and financial inclusivity. It may give the impression that some delegates with ongoing projects on Celo prefer to avoid new initiatives that could compete for follow-up funding. If an idea is not worth considering for voting, expressing reasons early on can save community members time and reduce gas fees associated with voting against proposals.

Secondly, if community continues the trend of usually not engaging or showing interest in opinions and contributions except moderators, and then governance as we know it changes and with these new protocols in place, the only way to take a CGP onchain Is to have 100,000 CELO or get a delegate in the Community with that much voting power to take it on chain for you, how would anyone without that much voting power be able to contribute to growth of the community. How can anyone make impact being a fresh member in community without engagement, it’ll frustrate discussions and ultimately decentralization.
I understand the purpose is to promote alignment with delegates and skin-in-the-game for each proposal but if delegates hardly ever contribute to proposals in building stage except it has to do with them directly or indirectly, there’ll be no game at all to get skin into… if that makes sense.
Especially when a lot of delegates only read props when it’s in voting stage and hardly visit the forum for discussions even when being redirected from discord.

CELO right now has arguably the most actively decentralized community where anyone can come in and have a voiced heard because anyone with 100CELO can make a difference in the community. hinder that and we’ll stunt growth of CELO.
Opera mini has been in operation within Nigeria for years and is almost as popular as the internet itself within Nigeria yet of all Ecosystems to partner with, its celo that’ll be collaborating on the project with mini pay and its on celo it’ll be deploying on. That goes to show that our structure isn’t really that bad. Changes are required yes but we must be careful as to not shoot ourselves in the leg in the name of change.
In the last 18 months, I have never heard of or witnessed any web3 community event as big as the ones I’ve seen in Nigeria till I came across CELO TRIBE and CELO AFRICA.
Was really proud to walk into one of the most prestigious halls in a Nigerian metropolis (CIVIC CENTRE) and see CELO Africa hosting an event and it was dynamic.

I’m not saying the idea of having someone with huge voting power submit proposal for anyone without huge voting power is not a good idea, I’m saying that if we as a community don’t take up collaborations and ensuring engagement in any form on majority of ideas that come up on the forum AS A RESPONSIBILITY, this new proposed protocol will only make CELO more centralized. As we well know, there’s only about a handful of people on celo who with a single vote can be the deciding vote on if a project will pass or be rejected.
The proposed protocol will eventually establish a system where only those actively participating in Celo governance become the active delegates, advocating for proposals aligned with their interests. And concern is that this approach might inadvertently limit governance participation and potentially lead to a situation where a subset of early participants exerts significant influence, potentially steering community funds toward their personal agendas.
I’ve seen this happen so speaking from experience.

All I’m saying in a nutshell is we must take it as a responsibility to try to participate on any idea proposed to the community no matter how small and in any way we can.
With proper questioning and in-depth discussions, we can even sieve out scammers and agendas that don’t favor CELO’s righteous cause.

Sorry for the long read but I had to be detailed in my communication.

Thanks

2 Likes