Celo Asia DAO Proposal

Reading between the lines here, this is straight up a Korean marketing spend request, not an “Asia DAO”, or really any kind of DAO.

Then what are we doing? Selling Koreans a dream of getting on board the next moon rocket?
Celo’s community identity has never been about “number go up”, although obviously everyone would love to see it. Handing out community funds for this purpose feels a little off to me.

I’m old enough to remember blockchain being a disruptive technology that can unlock financial self-determination, but if the community thinks we need engagement farming quizzes and Telegram channels, take it to a vote I guess.

2 Likes

Hi @hope and team!

I am sharing some of my personal perspectives on this proposal.

Given the significant focus on Korea - I think a scaled-down and hyper-focused proposal on that market could be the right fit. I’m well aware community building takes time, and I think the best possible strategy here would be finding some regional partners for this initial program.

We leverage existing Founder infrastructure and network in Europe to make our initiatives more efficient. In addition, all contributors are working at reduced rates, allowing us to test hypotheses without asking the total price. Also, having a clear timeline for each of the deliverables would help.

A 3-6 month trial focussed on Korea with achievable and well-priced milestones could make sense!

4 Likes

Hi All! My name is Danny from 82 Partners. I’m sharing my wallet being used for the Multisig here: 0x094a9009Fe93A85658E4b49604fD8177620F8Cd8

Hi ! My name is Hope from ReFi Korea. I’m sharing my wallet being used for the Multisig here: 0x562d99578Cd81a26930C7FeeFea8Ad9DA61bE7FA

Hey everyone, Alex from Shinlabs here. I’m sharing my wallet being used for the Multisig here: 0x2Ca693Ec9B7E2d050489091a465934f9B950F14E

Yeup, that is the intention. The updated proposal is scaled down to focus on getting some initial traction first. :slight_smile: Let us know your thoughts!

2 Likes

I think it’s best to think about it this way. There’s lots of holders of CELO in Korea, yet there isn’t any education, content, not even a real community for these people. At the very least, owning that portion of the narrative is step one imo.

One of the challenges we always face working with global teams working on internet primitives is that the ethos of crypto when they reach Asia, they often don’t mean the same things here. We think Celo is doing some great things internationally and that story needs to be told. Then from there we can attract builders locally to try launching products that align with Celo’s mission.

3 Likes

Hello, I am a celo holder from Korea. It has been several months since this proposal was passed, but celo Korea has not implemented any plans. After the proposal was passed, they started managing the existing Korean telegram channel, but they are not managing and communicating with the community. As a result, In Korea, the celo community is known to be unable to communicate.

3 Likes

Hey Stay,

Thanks for your feedback.

We’re well aware of the sentiment. Our apologies but the Celo community channel wasn’t initially created by us. Ownership is still with the previous manager and we have a new community manager on standby — who will set new guidelines and be actively sharing updates.

Also, we’ve mention this several times, but we’d unable to address price-related initiatives.

In the meantime, we’re aiming to host an event with startups and groups in the SDGs space. Hopefully we can announce soon.

We already know Korea Celo commnuity channel wasn’t initially created by yours. But you guys got administrator role after proposal passed. you can manage community channel but you didn’t. AND It’s been a long time since proposal passed, and now you’re making a new guideline? what have you been doing for the past few months?

We didn’t ask for a price. We wanted to communicate and share information, which is the purpose you wrote in proposal

Why don’t we talk on a Korean Telegram channel? Why is there no answers on the Korean channel and only answer questions in English?

1 Like

I’m also quite curious about this. I often open Celo Korea’s Twitter, hoping to hear the voice of the Korean community. However, in almost four months, Celo Korea has only tweeted 14 times, which is far less than the number of times I’ve retweeted Celo’s official tweets. I remember when Celo Daily used to tweet daily, I could almost keep up with all the latest news from the Celo community. The community refused to fund them, and I’m not saying Celo Daily should be funded,they should totally operate out of passion . But now the community has give money to Celo Korea, what have we received in return?

5 Likes

Despite building the KOREA DAO and receiving subsidies through governance proposals, the administrators are doing nothing.

They are neglecting basic tasks such as removing illegal advertisements, and have not taken any action despite being pointed out in the community for several months. We didn’t ask the price.

I feel like I’m only saying what I want to say and that community members are being ridiculed.

Currently, in the Sello Korea Telegram room, general holders are sharing information and giving feedback. Basically, we do not provide any news from the foundation.

They received $150,000 in support over six months. This is approximately five times the average annual salary of Korean office workers.

It’s a shame that CELO subsidies are given to these idiots, and people wonder, “Is CELO a good project to receive subsidies without doing anything?” I feel it.

Korea is a very important market.
If you need confirmation, please visit our Telegram channel to check.

3 Likes

The recent developments in the Korean CELO community, following the allocation of $150,000, have been a matter of concern. The community needs to reflect on how these funds are being utilized, especially considering the lack of significant outcomes so far.
As we move forward, it’s crucial for us to be more prudent and analytical regarding any future funding proposals. If future funding requests are approved without a clear demonstration of their benefits, it may lead me to reevaluate my participation in the celo community.
I hope more Korean friends can share with the community your feelings about CELO Korean. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback! Have you had a chance a look through our 2023 year end update? Celo Korea is 4 months old and we’ve done our best to address all of the different interest areas.

Here is it!

I’m sorry you feel that way. But we’ve communicated to the broader audience that coin marketing isn’t our primary KPI.

Here’s our update for the 4 months since Celo Korea was formed. There’s information on what we’ve done with the grant so far! Happy to answer questions. :slight_smile:

Here’s our 2023 update. Our apologies for the late response!

1 Like

I am a Chinese , so I will talk in Chinese in this Celo Asia Dao :

公道自在人心,我不希望听到一个拿到社区资金的人来解释你做的那些事情是多么有价值,我只想说几点我的看法:

1.Celo在0.45价格的时候,我们作为Celo Holder 都在忍耐等待,你们作为 Celo Korea却会第一时间卖掉所有CELO,是怕CELO会继续下跌吗?作为地区性的社区,都不愿意相信分批卖出CELO可能是更好的选择吗?难道不怕在0.45的时候一次卖300kCELO会伤害到我们其他人吗?

2.对于telegram 的管理问题,我认为这绝对是失职,当年作为2021年中文 telegram 群组中的一员,在有2个负责任的大使的管理下,群人数迅速的增涨到了1w以上(我记得大概是这个数字),甚至在群主从CELO离职后,只有一个自愿管理群组的大使的管理下,telegram 群自行运转的超过半年,才逐渐失控。据我了解,当时一个大使每月收到的薪资只有200-300cusd,如果一个群需要5个大使,也不过只需要1000cusd/月 ,就能让这个群非常良好的运行。

3.我的上一个回答已经29天,才终于得到 Celo Korea的回复,我非常感激,但我认为从这一点也能看出@Lee5252 所说的是事实。

from GPT4:
"Justice resides in the human heart. I don’t want to hear someone who has received community funds explain how valuable the things you’ve done are. I just want to express a few of my own views:

1. When Celo’s price was at $0.45, we, as Celo Holders, were patiently waiting, yet you, as Celo Korea, sold off all your CELO at the first opportunity. Were you afraid that CELO’s value would continue to drop? As a regional community, didn’t you think that selling CELO in batches might have been a better choice? Aren’t you worried that selling 300k CELO at once when the price was $0.45 could harm the rest of us?

2. Regarding the management of the Telegram group, I believe this is absolutely a dereliction of duty. As a member of the 2021 Chinese Telegram group, under the management of two responsible ambassadors, the group’s membership quickly grew to over 10,000 (as far as I remember). Even after the group owner left Celo, the group was managed by a volunteer ambassador for over half a year before gradually losing control. To my knowledge, an ambassador received a salary of only 200-300 cusd per month back then. If a group needed five ambassadors, it would only cost around 1000 cusd/month to keep it running smoothly.

3. It took 29 days to finally get a response from Celo Korea to my last answer, for which I am very grateful. However, I believe this also shows that what @Lee5252 said is true.

[quote=“Lee5252, post:34, topic:5957”] They are neglecting basic tasks such as removing illegal advertisements, and have not taken any action despite being pointed out in the community for several months. We didn’t ask the price. [/quote]"

1 Like

For clarity we’re not targeting Korean companies. There are associations that are interested in categories like regenerative finance. The goal is to win via association, which is a little bit different than trying to get Korean companies to license their IP or game titles to build on your chain like many other projects are doing locally here. Again not easy, but worth a probe.

This is your word,but @Lee5252 in this channels don’t satisfy. Want to know what is " active management"?

2 Likes

Is marketing a thing that you promote among yourself and no one in Korea knows?
Read your Proposal again.
Don’t pretend you’ve done something to get a grant

2 Likes