Reopening of the Celo Community Fund

Hi all,

I’ve created a discord post to gauge the support for the focus ideas presented here. Please take a look and click the appropriate emojis for what you would like to see as a focus.

If the link does not work. It is in the Celo Discord in the #community-fund channel

2 Likes

Hey Aaron, how you feel, would promotion to existing Celo projects fit into proposal focus areas?
Here is our concept:

Thanks for any feedback. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Frankly, I think each protocol / team ought to be in charge of their own marketing budget, and the community fund should be to help subsidize R&D costs.

I’m not too fond of celo foundation money going into advertising…

If your Celo Hype Team want to find clients, then target the projects that were incubated by the foundation, and get a slice of their budget.

4 Likes

This is a wonderful idea. A grant from CCF1 made the difference in our startup´s development. I would like to apply for being an ecosystem lead in Brazil, if you need help. :smile:

2 Likes

That makes sense to me

2 Likes

I’m not speaking here with any more authority then anyone else. I just thru the idea out and it can be taken up or not.

Personally I agree with @diwu1989 that marketing isnt the best use of community funds.

2 Likes

Thanks @edlovecrypto - great to know. I have noted this and will get in touch if things get rolling over the summer.

2 Likes

@diwu1989 @aaronmgdr got your idea. Thanks for replies. ))

2 Likes

As part of these changes, does it make sense to rename the Celo Community Fund to something that doesn’t have the same name as the other Community Fund governable by CELO holders? Curious what people think.

1 Like

I personally like the idea of a name change. It makes sense to differentiate the two. It can be confusing for new participants in the network. Interested to see what others think about this and would love to see some suggested names.

2 Likes

name suggestion: Celo Builders Fund

2 Likes

I was thinking the name was good because it implies that this is a sub fund of that. Therefore CCF II. like how investment firms have their fund I, fund IIV etc

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts so far. After today we will be collating the feedback for discussion before our governance proposal submission so any last thoughts very welcome!

2 Likes

Thank you all for your feedback over the last month. We have incorporated it into our proposal and attended the CGP call 17 yesterday. It is great to hear all the ideas that you have provided.

We received feedback yesterday about how the CCF2/Prezenti(new proposed name) differs from other grant options within the Celo ecosystem and how a community member or builder can determine what is the best path for their situation. We look forward to engaging with these other entities and working towards a framework to make it easier for applicants to determine the best path forward. This feedback has been added to the proposal changes are reflected with an update in this PR.

The proposal has now been proposed as proposal 58 and is in the upvote stage. We wanted to decrease voter fatigue and piggyback proposal 57(Update blockGasLimit to 50M and targetDensity to 0.7).

We would love for you all to spread the word to fellow Celo community members and vote in support of this proposal. Most of all we look for to serving Celo and all of you to help grow the ecosystem

You can view the proposal here: celocli governance:view --proposalID=58

Thank you everyone for a great conversation on the Governance Call yesterday! I will be reaching out here with more in-depth comments and feedback on the proposal.

Just dropping by quickly today to say there’s a Grants AMA happening in ~10 minutes with Rene, Xochitl, Kevin, and Masha on Twitter about the state of the Foundation Grants program:

1 Like

Fully supportive of this proposal, and also happy to see the rename!

Looking forward to this stimulating independent teams to be further empowered with agency around Celo, what it means for them, and how they’re inspired to contribute.

2 Likes

Hi @annaalexa - I’m so sorry, I missed this post and the call. Voting is open for the CCF2 so lets see what happens, and if successful lets connect right away to ensure we offer the best granting service for all. Thanks! Maya

Hi folks, if you haven’t seen CGP 61, myself, @Wade | TPT , and @Thylacine would love your support as potential new stewards for a re-opened Celo Community Fund. Governance summary: Celo Governance by Staking Fund Forum discussion: Reopening of the Celo Community Fund I would be happy to discuss any questions you have.

Celo Forum

Reopening of the Celo Community Fund

Introduction The Celo Community Fund (CCF) isn’t currently open for applications - the original stewardships are drawing to a close and there is now a need to decide how this initiative should continue; and how it can continue to serve the Celo Community in a valuable way. There are some items we need for this program to continue: It would n…

Stake ID

Celo Governance by Staking Fund

Stake ID helps you search and explore the Celo blockchain for governance, addresses and key statistics.

I notice that the final cgp now says the new stewards will get advice on setting up legal structure. last time for CCF I this cost around $50k which is a lot but there was some talk that it could be reused?

Hi @aaronmgdr, this is a very good and important question. We’re considering alternatives to a Delaware LLC because none of us are US citizens and there might be more appropriate jurisdictions and even structures. It will cost a fraction of the price as we are hoping to use the majority of the paper work already established. We will also talk to Celo Jura for any advice they can offer too, but the aim is certainly not to spend much on legalities again for sure.

1 Like