Mastering the Art of Validating AMA (for Webinar Nov 26th)

On Tuesday November 26th 2019, the team building Celo is hosting a webinar to explain Celo’s proof of stage mechanism. If you’d like to attend: Register here.

Please list all your questions by replying to this thread. The questions with the most likes will be addressed in the webinar. Other questions will be addressed here after the webinar.

1 Like

Questions (I’ve also left same questions in the registration form.)

Q1. Looks like account for validator group and account for validator are also Stakers, because they voted validator group as other non-validating stakers. Is it correct?

Q2. Then does account for validator group get epoch reward for Stakers while account for validator get epoch reward for Stakers in addition to epoch reward for Validator ?
In other words, does the account of validator get both epoch rewards for a staker and for validator ?

What is the purpose of validator groups and how validators should form those?

In addition to discussing Validators, will we also discuss being a Full Node and how that is different from being a Validator? For non-technical people can you assist with suggested hardware that we should? Thank you.

How much cGold will be distributed during the Baklava testing period? (2m?)
What percentage is this of all the available cGold?
What is the overall cGold distribution at start of the mainnet?

1 Like

Q1. Is it possible to run a validator in the cloud, or is there a co-lo requirement like in Cosmos?

Q2. Are you worried about SIM swapping? Jack Dorsey had his twitter handle hacked through phone-number based authentication schemes recently. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/06/hack-of-jack-dorseys-twitter-account-highlights-sim-swapping-threat.html

Do light client (Android) users/accounts (who hold cGold) also get a vote to choose validator groups? Is this feature available in the app?

How many votes does a new currency require? If only a small group of users want a new cur will enough voters show up? I assume that only a small part of all the cGold holders know about the new bus token in city X…

ĉu vi parolas esperanto?

1 Like

Is it possible for an adversarial user to attack the whole network by spamming attestation requests? Because sending an sms message costs money.

1 Like

Q1: Where to find a group?

Q2: A provider for the node could be Amazon aws for example?

what entropy source are you currently using to feed the ‘Random’ contract and what are you going to use on mainnet?

Jes kompreneble! ĉu vi '?

1 Like

Will there be a dashboard with an overview of which validators get how many votes and other metrics to make everything more visible? I know about https://alfajores-blockscout.celo-testnet.org/ and https://alfajores-ethstats.celo-testnet.org/ but they dont show much about validators and staking.

Is the reward app still operational? Will my phone’s Android app be connected to a validator?

Which centralized service sents the attestation sms? Does each validator need to set a service (eg. Amazon Simple Notfifications Service) up?

Can one entity be a validator group with 5 own validators. If so, does this rule apply to the testnet and can that entity collect 5 times rewards?

I missed the webinar. Is there a recording of it? And will all these valuable questions be answered?

An additional question: Is there software for a HSM (Ledger, or other) to be used with the validator node?

Thanks.

Yes, exactly right. Locked Gold can be used for multiple things at the same time – you can use it for a stake for a validator or validator group, and that same locked gold amount can also be used to vote. If you do that, you get rewards just as if you were a regular holder of Celo Gold.
[/quote]

1 Like

Just to follow up my answer on the webinar – it’s a really interesting question how groups will form. I hope we will see some groups form that do not also run validators and specialize in “certifying” or “auditing” validators, or maybe provide some other value-add service, and take a share of their rewards in return.

The real purpose of validator groups in the design is to help make voters make better decisions about who to vote for. Since the relationship between groups and validator instances is likely to be much longer lived and each has to explicitly associate the other before getting elected, both will have much better information about the other than voters will.