Proof of Deposit -- Summary and FAQs

Morning John,

One of the things that has puzzled me about Celo from the start is, how the heck is it going to pay the bills on $0.001/transaction? It’s the basic question I ask myself before throwing a significant amount of my money at something.

PoD doubled down on that thought and gave it an expectation to look for, a 5%(ish) payout ongoing.

My question became, is there enough money to do that?

In a different thread I got this response from @alexcelo last night.

Celo it seems, is designed not to earn enough money from customers to pay the bills. That’s a problem from my point of view.

That choice by Celo leaves y’all with a purely mechanical math problem.

You or Ying actually identified that thought indirectly for me in I think the first thread, don’t remember exactly where, but it lifted another red flag for me. If the customer isn’t paying the bill, who is? There’s really only one other choice, investors. That’s a real problem in my head.

You and @ying_chan got caught in the middle here, I’m thinking y’all didn’t have all the info either.

In this thread Paying the bills... Celo's Financials? I’ve asked @alexcelo to clarify how that works, to define the mechanism.

The only things I can think of that might fill that gap in perpetuity is a tax of sorts on the Celo native asset or returns on investments.

Hopefully we will see when @alexcelo replies.