CEL2 Roadmap Update

Hey Valentin, thanks for sharing the roadmap and more importantly thanks for seeking feedback from the Celo community. To be very clear, I strongly support Celo’s transition to an L2 on Ethereum. However, I have some concerns regarding the roadmap.

First, the next milestone should focus on eliminating the biggest risk/unknown in the whole project - Data Availability Layer research, before tackling other tasks/milestones. The highest selling point or competitive advantage that Celo would offer is “sub-cent transaction fees”, which is critical to payment apps like Celo-Opera MiniPay (and other Dapps). Based on my knowledge, the DA layer cost accounts about 80% of the total tx cost. However, DA layer is delayed and high uncertainty. Are we 100% sure there will be a 3rd party DA solution that can meet the requirement of “sub-cent transaction fees”? Especially during the bull market where the price of payment token, for example ETH, can be 10x and hence the cost will be 10x? If no 3rd party solution can meet the requirement of “sub-cent transaction fees”, what’s the plan B? All resources could be wasted if there is NO DA layer solution that meet the requirement of “sub-cent transaction fees”, agree?

Second, the plan should address the questions raised by @Ross on [token utility, revenue generation, and revenue allocation](cLabs Proposal for Celo to transition to an Ethereum L2 - #57 by Ross). Without these, the Celo L2 may not be sustainable, agree?

I think depending on the result of the DA layer research, there could be an elegant solution that addresses both concerns. Anyway, just my 2 cents here. Thanks again for all the work cLabs team has done so far!

1 Like